Thursday, March 10, 2016

Retire to Agoo La Union

An Town Full of History by Damon Simms 




When I first came to live in the Philippines a few years ago I never expected that I would end up living in a small town on the coast of North Luzon. I originally lived in Baguio City thinking that I would find the climate more agreeable but the combination of the ceaseless traffic jams and cold, wet weather got to me in the end. When it came time for myself and my partner to buy property we decided that the coast was a better choice. As she is from Baguio and did not want to go too far afield we chose La Union. The warm weather and beaches appealed to me (I’m a big fan of ‘beer drinking weather’) and the proximity to Baguio appealed to her. So we found ourselves on the hunt for a place to live in an area that neither of us had ever lived in before.

After looking around (and around) for several months we finally found the perfect property in a town called Agoo. Agoo is the commercial and business hub of the second district of La Union, has a population of about 65,000 people and, as I have taken great pleasure in discovering since we moved here, has a whole lot of history behind it. It is one of those things peculiar to the Philippines that information can be quite difficult to come by, other parts of Asia that I’ve lived in have very well documented histories but not so here. Over the course of the past six months or so I’ve done a fair amount of research and what I’ve discovered about the city we now call home and the province that it is in has been extremely interesting.

Read more here:

http://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2016/03/11/town-full-history-agoo-la-union/

No comments:

Post a Comment