Monday, March 14, 2016

Getting Real Honey in the Philippines

I once talked with a professional beekeeper in the Philippines and he described a pretty sad situation. He told me that most of the honey collected is not harvested by beekeepers. It is found by Filipinos who go out into the jungle in search of hives and in the process of collecting the honey destroy the entire hive killing all the bees.
realhoneyinphilippines
Getting real honey in the Philippines is not easy. What we are sold as pure honey usually has lots of sugar and other additives. The situation is no better on the supermarket shelves back home. Testing of most brands on American supermarket shelves found that up to 80% did not even qualify as honey.
When I first arrived in the Philippines and was in the process of opening a dance and fitness studio this old man wondered in with the bucket. I tasted the honey and it was delicious. I purchased some. I soon wished I had of got more as I soon learnt it was not easy to find real honey.
The next time I saw a guy with bucket selling honey with a piece of honeycomb in the bucket I purchased it without even tasting it.   Big mistake. It was basically sugar syrup. Over the years I have seen others and each time I tasted the honey I knew it was diluted.

honeycombinbucketYesterday the GF returned with honey and told me it was the real thing. She explained that she visited the store of a relative and asked about the honey displayed and asked if they had real honey.
She said her aunty put her fingers to her lips to signal a secret and went behind the counter and brought out an unmarked bottle (actually a Tanduay flask). She even told my GF where the honey came from. The cost was 200 pesos which is not cheap but I confirm that again I am enjoying pure honey. It’s worth it.
JUST BECAUSE YOU SEE A PIECE OF HONEY COMB IN THE BUCKET DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GETTING PURE HONEY!


No comments:

Post a Comment